University of Craigslist
Because of this little thing, I'm shopping for a new laptop. Coincident with pestering my few remaining friends at Apple for an employee discount* I looked at Craigslist. I think I found a good deal. I'll find out tomorrow. Just a couple of things:
1) I hate dealing with cash. $100 here or there is fine, but having laptop-territory cash around makes me nervous.
2) People are amazing. I've commented before about the person selling an Apple router for list price. Then a few weeks later it comes down a few bucks and a few weeks later a few more. The current price (and they've had them listed for months) is about $20 below list, but you have to buy two.
3) People are amazing part two. If this isn't a hot computer, I'm tempted to call the person and ask why they're selling a $2,800 computer for $600.
4) People are amazing part three. This person got huffy (I think she was huffy- it was via email, but she all capped "FIRM") when I asked if she'd come down a hundred bucks. But the day before the same computer was $1,100. So, it seemed like a fair question. $1,000 is not a great deal.
There. I've just pissed off someone selling a hot computer and suggested I had a lot of cash lying around…
* Apple has a program called "Friends and Family". It's there just begging you to harass anyone with an employee badge.